This morning I prepped my vegetables and threw them in the crockpot with some oxtail for my very first attempt at an Oxtail Stew recipe. While everything was in the slow cooker I headed off to open gym, where I worked on my Clean & Jerk. I actually got a small 5 pound PR today. My 1RM is now 120lb…that’s come a loooooong way;) Anyway back to the stew….
After I left the gym I got a call from Tim saying, “This is the best freaking stew I have ever tasted!” When hubby is happy, I am happy. I had a bowl when I came home and I have to agree with him, it was pretty damn good. I see more oxtail in our future!
I got this recipe from Bi-Polar Paleo (love that name). Here is the recipe:
- 1 T coconut oil
- 4 oxtail pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 turnips, peeled and roughly chopped (I cooked mine without the turnips)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 5 large cherry tomatoes, halved (I used the little tomatoes)
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- salt, pepper, and cayenne (for a little kick)
- Heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Brown the oxtails on all sides. Place them in the slow cooker.
- Season the oxtails with salt and pepper, and cayenne, if using.
- Fry the garlic until fragrant.
- Add vegetables to the pan and fry for 3-5 minutes until they begin to brown.
- Add just enough beef broth so you can easily scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Pour beef broth into the slow cooker.
- Add vegetable mixture to the slow cooker. Do not stir.
- Top the slow cooked contents with chopped bacon.
- Secure the lid and cook for 4-5 hours on High.