I don’t do resolutions, but I really need to get myself on here more in 2014. 2013 proved to be a lazy blog year for me!
I started 2014 with a challenge for myself, The 21 Day Sugar Detox. Not necessarily to lose “weight” but I really just wanted to re-set my clock after eating pretty much everything I wanted over the holiday’s. My husbands wight has yo-yo’d over the years, so it was great that he was excited to join me. I know a lot of people have done the detox with success, and it’s always great to have that extra awareness of what you are eating. Knowledge really is power. I’ve been on this paleo band wagon since January 1st 2011…so that is 3 years now. WOW, it’s the longest I’ve ever stuck with something. The reason I truly believe I have been able to stick to it is because I don’t see it as a “diet,” it’s simply become a lifestyle. And for me, one that has worked.
So the detox has been going pretty well. I made the dopey move to detox from caffeine at the same time….I DO NOT recommend doing so. It was pretty horrible days 3-5. I didn’t realize how bad until one evening my husband said, ” If you keep being mean to me I am going to force feed you sugar!” Uh Oh. The next morning I added my iced coffee back in the morning routine, and lucky for him I am my peachy self again. I also added back my french vanilla coconut milk creamer for my coffee (I can’t drink my iced coffee without it), which is considered a “no” on the detox. Otherwise I have been on the straightened arrow. Today marks day 9. I’ve been sleeping better, lost 4 pounds and feel leaned out after the holiday bloat!
This morning I made the Buffalo Chicken Egg Muffins featured in The 21 Day Sugar Detox book (which is fab by the way, I really recommend it). These are yummy & easy. The thing I love most about egg cups like these are you can make them the night before and then you have 3 days worth of breakfast for 2 people. Perfect on busy mornings!
(The following is via The 21 Day Sugar Detox by Diane Sanfilippo)
buffalo chicken egg muffins
Pack an extra protein punch into your morning with these savory egg muffins!
grain-free • gluten-free • dairy-free • nut-free • seed-free • sugar-free • 21DSD
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 60 minutes
YIELD: 6 egg muffins (2-3 servings)
NUTRITION INFO: coming soon!
For the chicken:
- 3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or breast)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 1/4 c + 2 tablespoons (divided) Tessemae’s Wing Sauce (or use 3 tablespoons of a clean-ingredient hot sauce* + 3 tablespoons melted butter or coconut oil)
- 6 large eggs, whisked
- 2 tablespoons green onion/scallion, sliced
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- On a baking pan, arrange the chicken thighs and season with garlic, sea salt, and black pepper. Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through.
- Place the cooked chicken thighs into a large mixing bowl and shred with two forks. Pour the wing sauce over the chicken and toss to combine and set it aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, 2 tablespoons of wing sauce, green onion, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture into parchment cup lined (Without liners, I can’t guarantee these won’t stick even to a well-greased pan –these are the only type of liners I recommend as nothing sticks to them, guaranteed!) muffin tins to fill them approximately halfway. Gently spoon about 2oz of the shredded chicken into each muffin cup so that it’s evenly distributed. Serve any extra chicken alongside the cooked muffins.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the muffins rise and become golden brown around the edges.